I have been wanting to use figs in a recipe lately and was totally blown away when I found this little jar calling my name. I knew it was meant to be.
So home I went with my very own little jar of this yummy puree of figs and sweetness. But what should I make?
My lover was craving something sweet and crunchy, so I decided to make Fig Butter Almond Cookies. And, boy I'm sure happy I did.
These cookies somehow became the most delicious creations I have made in a very long time. The blend of crunchy almond slivers with the perfect ratio of crunchy/crumbly texture.
Your whole house will smell like an Italian kitchen. Mine sure did.
Gluten Free Fig Butter Almond Cookies
makes 24 cookies
Gluten Free ● Egg Free ● Dairy Free ● Soy Free ● Casein Free
1/4 cup Almond Milk (or other milk)
2/3 cup Coconut Oil, cold
1 cup Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1/4 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
2 cups Wholesome Chow's All-Purpose Baking Mix
1/2 cup Slivered Almonds
1/2 cup Fig Butter, or 12 halved dried Black Mission Figs
2 glasses of Red Wine
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease two cookie sheets.
- Using an electric mixer, blend milk and flaxmeal until frothy, about 1 minute on medium-high speed.
- Add coconut oil and sugar. Beat on high for 2-3 minutes, or until oil and sugar are well incorporated and there aren't very many oil clumps.
- Add vanilla and apple cider vinegar, beat for another 30 seconds.
- Add All-Purpose Baking Mix and blend until well incorporated, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add almonds and mix in.
- Using your clean hands, form golf ball sized cookies and flatten with your palm onto the cookie sheet. Use your thumb to create a "thumbprint" into the center of each cookie (this is where your fig butter will go).
- Place 1 tsp of fig butter (or 1/2 of a dried fig) into each thumbprint.
- Place into preheated oven and bake for 17-20 minutes, or until bottoms are starting to lightly brown and cookies are starting to firm.
- Pull from oven and let cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Pour two glasses of red wine and share your fresh baked cookies with your loved one.
How to make these cookies Un-Gluten Free:
- Eliminate the Apple Cider Vinegar
- Use Organic Unbleached Wheat Flour in place of the All-Purpose Baking Mix.
- Add: 1 tsp Baking Powder and 1/2 tsp Salt.
Question of the day:
What kinds of Vegan Holiday Cookie recipes would you like to see posted in the Vegan Bakerista blog?