I've been on quite the search lately for a slightly sweet, easy to make, Gluten Free Vegan Pie Crust recipe.
This has not proved to be an easy task. So, being the crafty vegan baker I am, I decided to create my own from scratch (pun intended).
I gathered my ingredients: Wholesome Chow's All-Purpose Baking Mix, vegan butter, vegan shortening, ice cold water, vodka (yep!) and a dash of sugar. I placed them in my food processor, and in about 5 minutes I had a pie dish lined with beautiful pie dough.
*Tip: The addition of Vodka in the recipe gives the dough a little bit of extra tenderness. Use cold water in place if you don't have any.
|Easy 5 Minute Gluten-Free Pie Crust made into Cherry-Almond Tart|
Absolutely no rolling required. That's why I call this the Easy 5 Minute Gluten-Free Pie Dough.
Moist, delicate, and flaky. Just they way I like my
men pie crust.
I also was given some tips from Mrs. Martha Stewart herself (at least from her Pies and Tarts Cookbook) and filled this yummy pie crust with a simple mixture of Cherries and Almonds.
This whole pie only took me about 10 minutes to whip up (not including baking time). No rolling pin required.
I love it.
You can also make quiches and other savory pie crust recipes using this same exact dough. I LOVE Isa Chandra Moskowitz's Vegan Quiche recipes like this one here.
Hmm...maybe that's what I will make this pie crust with next. I just picked up her new book, "Vegan Brunch" and she has like a zillion quiche recipes in there.
Try this recipe with Pumpkin Pie too using this Easy 5 Minute Gluten-Free Pie Crust in place of the prepared one they mention. After all, it is almost Thanksgiving.
Easy 5 Minute Gluten-Free Pie Crust
No Rolling Required!
Makes enough for 1 9" round pie
Gluten Free ● Egg Free ● Dairy Free ● Soy Free ● Casein Free ● Vegan
3/4 tsp Guar or Xanthan Gum
1 tsp Sugar
2 tbsp Butter (Non-Dairy or Dairy), very cold
3 tbsp Organic Shortening (such as Spectrum), or Butter, very cold
2 tsp Vodka (or chilled water instead)
8 tsp Chilled Water
- Place butter, shortening, water, vodka and a large mixing bowl into the freezer for 15 minutes to thoroughly chill everything. Keeping this dough nice and cold will help you get a flakier crust in the end.
Pie Crust Directions:
- In a food processor, combine the All-Purpose Baking Mix, guar or xanthan gum and sugar.
- Process for 10 seconds to combine.
- With the motor running, add the butter and shortening until mixture is nice and crumbly. Do not over process.
- Using a rubber spatula, pour the dough into your chilled bowl. Add the liquid ingredients 1-2 teaspoons at a time. Mix with the spatula until a dough starts to form. It might not require all of the liquid so try not to add all the liquid at once.
- Pour the dough into a pie pan (glass is best!) and press into the shape you desire.
- Make your desired filling and pour into prepared crust.
- Bake pie for approximately 20-50 minutes, depending on your filling.
Makes 1 9" round tart
Gluten Free ● Egg Free ● Dairy Free ● Soy Free ● Casein Free ● Corn Free
1/2 cup Almonds, toasted
1/4 cup Sugar
1/4 tsp Nutmeg, ground
2-4 cups Fresh Cherries, pitted, or in a jar in juice
1 recipe Easy 5 Minute Gluten Free Crust (see above)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a food processor, combine almonds, sugar, nutmeg and salt.
- Puree for 30 seconds, or until a fine meal is created.
- Place meal in a bowl and add cherries.
- Toss to combine and pour into prepared pie crust.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until crust is starting to brown and cherries are starting to dry slightly.
- Let rest for 20 minutes and serve.