Every year my daughter’s get to decide what type of cake, or cupcakes, they wish to have on their birthday. This year one asked for Vanilla and the other Chocolate, I thought why not make a Marbled Chocolate Vanilla Cupcake. They were thrilled!
The best part, both flavors were made with from the same batch using Wholesome Chows Organic Gluten Free Vanilla Cake Baking Mix.
Here is my recipe; my notes are in italics:
1 12 oz packing of Wholesome Chow Organic Gluten Free Vanilla Cake Mix - can be purchased at your local store or online at Wholesome Chow
1/4 cup milk of your choice - we used Rice Milk
1 capful vanilla
2 Tbsp Dark Chocolate Cocoa Powder – we used Hersey’s Dark Chocolate Cocoa Powder
**If you are above 5000 feet, please let these cupcakes rest, in a covered tub, for 24 hours. This will allow the cupcake to set and will remove the “gummy” texture. We are still working on perfecting the batter for higher altitudes. Thank you for bearing with us.
- Following the packages directions, first make the buttermilk, using 1/4 milk and apple cider vinegar, setting the timer to ensure the milk mix sits for 5 minutes.
- While you are waiting for the milk mixture, line one (1) cupcake pan or grease thoroughly with Crisco or a spray oil.
- After the 5 minutes are up add a 1/4 cup canola oil and vanilla to the milk mix and whisk until thoroughly combined.
- Once everything is mixed slowly add the baking mix to the wet ingredients and whisked until everything is incorporated and the batter was smooth. This took approximately 15 seconds.
- When the batter is done, divide the batter equally between two bowls. In the second bowl add cocoa powder and stir until the batter is brown.
- In a lined cupcake pan, using a Tablespoon – or cookie scoop – scoop 1 Tbsp Vanilla batter into the side of a cup. The batter should stay where it is placed, allowing room for the chocolate batter. Repeat this process with the Chocolate batter, placing it next to the Vanilla. Alternate Vanilla on top of Chocolate, Chocolate on top of Vanilla, until the cup is approximately 1/2 way full.
- Gently tap the bottom of the pan on the counter, evening out the batter and removing air bubbles.
- Bake at 350* for 18 minutes; cool for 2 minutes in pan. Remove and let finish cooling on rack**.
Frost with your favorite frosting and serve! Check out Wholesome Chows Gluten-Free Vanilla Frosting Mix for a quick delicious frosting! Or try Semi-Homemade Frosting for a quick piping frosting!