I think these Corn Griddle Cakes have become NEW favorite way to enjoy our Organic Gluten Free All-Purpose Baking Mix.
Because I do soooooo much sweet baking in my house, either to develop new products (psst....new products coming soon!) or tasty ways of mixing things up using our current products, there are quite a lot of sweet treats floating around our household.
That being said, sometimes you just don't want something sweet. Enter: Corn Giddle Cakes. They are the perfect way to enjoy a pancake as dinner. And who doesn't like pancakes AND dinner?
Not only are they super easy to make (you literally just whisk together the Organic Gluten Free All-Purpose Baking Mix with the liquid ingredients, corn and the other flavorings), but they are also 100% VEGAN and Gluten Free. And...they are just sooooo warm and ooey-gooey in your belly
TJMaxx and it's amazing! Cast iron cooking always seemed so complex to me (and I am an actual chef!). You have to keep it dry so as not to rust, it's really really heavy so you can't throw your food around in it, and did I mention it's heavy?
But, there are benefits to using cast iron, especially when making griddle cakes. One, when you cook with cast iron it naturally gives you nice healthy iron in your food, and if you are a vegetarian like myself, that is a major bonus. Also, you don't have to worry about harmful toxins created from cooking food in a skillet that is too hot (like non-stick cookware). It is also naturally non-stick, at least in my experience.
So, without further adeu, here is my new favorite recipe for....
Gluten Free Vegan Corn Griddle Cakes
Makes about a dozen
Gluten, Egg, Dairy, Casein, Peanut, Tree Nut Free and totally Vegan.
1 cup Wholesome Chow's Organic Gluten Free All-Purpose Baking Mix
1 cup Milk (non-dairy or dairy, anykind)
1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 cup Corn (frozen works great, but fresh is always best!)
2 tbsp Onion, thinly sliced and minced
Black Pepper, to taste
Oil or butter for cooking
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the All-Purpose Mix, milk and cider vinegar.
- Whisk well until there are no clumps of baking mix.
- Stir in the corn, onion and black pepper (and anything else you want to add)
- Heat up your skillet, add 1 tbsp butter or oil.
- When butter or oil is hot, dollop batter into pan and spread into little cakes (like you make pancakes)
- Let cook until bubbling throughout the batter and browned on the bottom
- Flip and cook until browned on the other side
- Let cool slightly and then enjoy!